D-Inquiry | Inquiry-Based Learning
From PlayGroup to Year 4
Driven by the winds of change in the latter part of the 20th century, Dunalastair has been implementing an Inquiry-Based Learning programme from Playgroup to Year 4 since 2004.
The purpose of D-Inquiry is a radical change in the conception of the learning process right from the earliest stages. Learning becomes synonymous with inquiry, reflection, understanding and enjoyment, beyond simply memorisation.
D-Inquiry keys and benefits
- We go beyond the traditional limits of each subject by fostering deep, broad and integrated learning.
- 21st century skills are developed: creativity, critical thinking, collaboration, communication and the use of digital technology.
- Human Commonalities) y conceptos claves que organizan el aprendizaje en todos nuestros programas didácticos.
- The student connects with the subject through integrated learning experiences that make him/her search for information, process it, investigate it in depth, reflect on it and consider possible outcomes.
- This is implemented through Inquiry Modules, which are distributed throughout the year and integrate different disciplines (Mathematics, Natural and Social Sciences, English).
- Special focus is placed on the importance of connecting new knowledge with students’ previous experiences.
- The result of being involved in active experiences is a more solid and enduring understanding.
- The student’s engagement in the learning process is made enjoyable.
- Assessment takes place at three points in the year, which correlates with the three levels that are measured: Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.
- The aim is that hopefully all students will reach the advanced level in all areas, supported by the guidance provided by their teachers.
- The teacher is positioned as a catalyst for learning who guides and, above all, motivates students so that they are able to unleash their full potential.